Monday, November 28, 2011

Reading instructions

I'm paid to provide support and answer questions. But when a player asks me a question that indicates they haven't properly read the instructions, naturally I don't appreciate it. I take great care writing the instructions for them to be read thoroughly - to save myself time, and to make things convenient for players. Please, before you contact me with questions, make sure you have THOROUGHLY read the instructions. When I'm asked to answer questions that are already answered, it just wastes time.

Realistically, no matter how much I beg people to read instructions, some people will ignore my requests. I've considered creating a support FAQs database but it would be pointless considering almost all questions are already addressed in the instructions - it would just mean I need to spend more time maintaining another source of FAQs. When I find another frequently asked question, I add it to the instructions too. So please, read the instructions thoroughly before contacting me. If players continue to ignore this request, I'll just have to start giving a template response "read the instructions" which may not be so 'warm', but it would be necessary so I have time to support players that do read instructions.